It is best to refer to the user manual of your application for proper charging instructions.
- GEL batteries require a GEL charger
- Never fully discharge a SLA battery, this will shorten or completely end its life cycle
- A standard overnight charge (6-8 hours) should be sufficient for most batteries
- Do not leave batteries on chargers for extended periods of time that are not designed to maintain/float the charge.
- Batteries must be "broken in" and usually will not reach full capacity until 10-30 cycles
There are 3 stages to charging batteries.
Most consumer chargers are supply bulk charge only and should not be left on the battery for long periods of time.
- Bulk Charge- Set to charge at the maximum safe rate until charging nears 80-90%
- Absorption Charge- Gradual decline in current as internal resistance increases
- Float Charge - After a complete charges is obtained the charge voltage decreases. This stage is known as maintenance or trickle charging to sustain but not over charge the battery.
Characteristics of constant voltage chargers